The Martin D-17M is a dreadnought shaped recreation of the Style 17 Martin guitar. The style-17 line of guitars with mahogany backs and sides and spruce tops was originally designine in the 1900's and allowed players to get a greaty sounding guitar at a great price. The 17 series was supplanted in 1918 when Martin began making style-18 guitars with mahogany backs and sides but no, nearly 100 years later, the range returns giving the smae great quality of the original.
Solid Mahogany back and sides partnered with a solid Spruce top (tinted) is a classic tonewood combination and together with the body shape produces a deep powerful tone with blenty of warm rounded bottom but also plenty of top end sparkle. That makes it perfect for both extremes of playing style: Hard plectrum strumming or gentle fingerpicking.
The sleek neck on the D-17M has a contemporary feel. It feels great all along the fretboard, whether for barre chords played for extended stretches or athletic single-note soloing, this guitar feels great. The relatively narrow (1 11/16-inch) nut makes it comfortable to thumb-fret notes on the sixth string, while giving the other fretting fingers plenty of room to move about, and the low action also contributes to the guitar’s excellent playability.
- Model: D-17M
- Construction: Ply Blocks/ Simple Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Rosette: Single Ring
- Top Bracing Pattern: A-Frame
- Top Braces: Solid Sitka Spruce - 5/16''
- Back Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Back Purfling: none
- Side Material: Solid Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: none
- Endpiece Inlay: none
- Binding: Tortoise Color - Brown
- Top Inlay Style: none
- Side Inlay: none
- Back Inlay: none
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/Square Taper
- Headplate: Solid East Indian Rosewood/ Raised Gold Foil Logo
- Heelcap: none
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Morado
- Scale Length: 25.4''
- Number of Frets Clear: 14
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 11/16''
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8''
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Diamonds & Squares - Short Pattern
- Fingerboard Binding: none
- Finish Back & Sides: Satin
- Finish Top: 17 Style Shaded Gloss Top
- Finish Neck: Satin
- Bridge Material: Solid Morado
- Bridge Style: Belly
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 1/8''
- Saddle: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Open-Geared w/ Butterbean knobs
- Recommended Strings: Martin SP Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge (MSP7200)
- Bridge & End Pins: Black Ebony
- Pickguard: Delmar Tortoise Color
- Case: 345 Hardshell